*Please note that the scenarios in this blog post are not factual just observations and predictions based on my twisted view of how the world works.
Your little sister just graduated from high school. She is ecstatic to join society as a working individual in her transition to college and so are you. You've been working for about 10 years now, busting your ass through college for your pay increases. Like everyone else, you started at $8 and now you're in the $20 range. You work 40+ hour weeks, pay your bills on time and your taxes. Without effort or experience, little sister trails not too far behind you. This may upset you but your ego is not the real reason as to why the minimum wage increase is a bad idea. Here's some economics.
1. Your usual morning latte at Starbucks just jumped from $4 to $6 because Starbucks had to adjust their pay to accommodate the new minimum wage for their baristas.
2. Your off payday week lunch at McDonald's which is usually $5 is now $8. You would eat Chipotle, however their prices have jumped to $15 due to the new increase.
3. McDonald's decides that they will not give employees more than 15 hours per week to combat the pay increase so in turn, they frantically hire more employees but do not wish to pay them for proper training. You ask for french fries but end up getting a pie. Lays chips is sounding quite delicious to you at this point.
4. You venture to the supermarket to get groceries. Your gallon of milk is suddenly $9. They had to pay the cashiers, stock employees and truck drivers more money and now your pockets are paying for it.
5. The minimum wage increase does not account for inflation therefore your hourly wage will still be $20(something). While your little sister basks in her new found pockets because she still lives at home, congratulations you are now poor.
6. It's not just food and produce. You get sick and you have to go to the hospital. You discover you have strep throat and your antibiotics at Duane Reade are now $300. Are the antibiotics worth $300? Absolutely not but they have to cover their expenses.
7. You receive your hospital bill from last month and noticed some new charges on there. Cleaning surcharge, administrative fee, triage fee, floor fee, wall fee, breathing surcharge and of course regular doctor's fees and lab work.
Are you mad, or nah?
WHY I QUIT MY JOB